Surah Quraish is the 108th Surah of the Holy Quran. The Surah was revealed in Makkah. Surah Quraysh is the 108th Surah of the Holy Quran. The Surah was revealed in Makkah. Verse number 04. The melody belongs to the Makki Surah.
This Surah has been arranged separately from Surah Fil in the format of the present Uthman (RA:) version of the Qur’an in the Tafseer of verses 1-4. Differences have been made by (Arabic) between the two Surahs. In terms of content, this Surah is similar to Surah Fil.
|The meaning of the name||Quraish|
|Revealed||Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)|
|Number of Verses||4|
Surah Quraish English Translation, Transliteration:
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. لِإِيلَافِ قُرَيْشٍ
For the accustomed security of the Quraysh –
2. إِيلَافِهِمْ رِحْلَةَ الشِّتَاءِ وَالصَّيْفِ
Elafihim rihlatash shitayi was Saif
Their accustomed security [in] the caravan of winter and summer –
3. فَلْيَعْبُدُوا رَبَّ هَٰذَا الْبَيْتِ
Fal yabudu rabba hajal bait
Let them worship the Lord of this House,
4. الَّذِي أَطْعَمَهُم مِّن جُوعٍ وَآمَنَهُم مِّنْ خَوْفٍ
Allayi atyamahum min ju’inw-wa-aamana hum min khauf
Who has fed them, [saving them] from hunger and made them safe, [saving them] from fear? (Sahih International)
Read More Surah:
- Surah Nasr (An-Nasr) English Translation, Important Note, Benefit
- Surah Nas English Translation, Hadith & Benefits
- Surah Lahab or Al-Masad English Full Translation & Transliteration
- Surah Kausar English Translation, Transliteration & Benefits
- Surah Kafirun English Translation, Easy to Reciting & Benefits
Revelation and The Historical context of Surah Quraysh:
The Quraish are an aristocratic family in Arabia. The Prophet (peace be upon him) was born in this dynasty. The name of the Surah is derived from the word Quraish mentioned in the first verse of the Surah.
This Surah is also called “Surah Elaf”. Many people think that this Surah has a relationship with the previous Surah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) narrated from Umm Hani bint Abi Talib: Allaah has given the Quraish dignity in seven respects:
(1) I am one of them.
(2) Prophethood has come from among them.
(3) Supervision of Kaaba.
(4) Performing the duty of making the pilgrims (Hajj) drink water.
(5) Allah has helped them against the elephants (Abrahah’s army).
(6) After this incident, the Quraish did not worship anyone except Allah for seven years.
(6) Allah has sent down a separate Surah in the Qur’an about them so that no one is discussed except them.
Then he recited this Surah with ‘Bismillah’. (Silsila Sahihah H. 1944, Sahihul Jame H. 4209) لِإِيْلٰفِ- The meaning of the word: to be normal and accustomed. That is, not to feel any pain and disgust. Mujahid (RA) said: They became accustomed to business. As a result, it was not difficult for them to do business in winter and summer. (Sahih Bukhari)
The main livelihood of the Quraish was business. Their trade caravan traveled to other countries twice a year. They used to bring products from there. The warmer areas were Yaman in winter, and the colder areas in summer were Sham. The Arabs respected them as servants of the Kaaba. That is why their commercial caravans used to travel without any hindrance. Therefore, Allaah has instructed them to worship Allaah, the sole owner of this house, so that they can do business without hindrance because of the house, and they have been highly respected.
(أَطْعَمَهُمْ مِّنْ جُوْعٍ) That is, he feeds them through that trade. (اٰمَنَهُمْ مِّنْ خَوْفٍ) That is, He has kept them safe from all plunder and slaughter. Because they are the inhabitants of Haram and the servants of Haram. Allah says: (وَضَرَبَ اللہُ مَثَلًا قَرْیَةً کَانَتْ اٰمِنَةً مُّطْمَئِنَّةً یَّاْتِیْھَا رِزْقُھَا رَغَدًا مِّنْ کُلِّ مَکَانٍ فَکَفَرَتْ بِاَنْعُمِ اللہِ فَاَذَاقَھَا اللہُ لِبَاسَ الْجُوْعِ وَالْخَوْفِ بِمَا کَانُوْا یَصْنَعُوْنَ) “Allah presents an example, is a city which was safe and secure, whither came around way to Its a lot of livelihood. But his people disbelieved in the Grace of Allah, so Allah made them taste what they used to do, hunger and fear. (Surah Nahl 16: 112)
Therefore, one should worship Allah alone, the owner of the Kaaba, in order to give thanks to Allah who provides food in times of hunger and provides protection from fear.
What we learn from Surah Quraish:
- I learned about the dignity of the Quraish.
- I became aware of the honor and security they received because of Baitullah.
- I learned about the biography of the Quraish.
- Getting food in times of hunger and security in times of fear is a great blessing.
I hope you will like this article. If you like it, share this article and let me know your valuable feedback. May Allah keep us well, keep us healthy and grant us the grace to walk in the path of Islam. Amen.